Saturday, December 6, 2014

Meal Planning : Weekly Eats with Whole Parenting Family {Vol. 5}


We've been making our way through the Turkey Day leftovers. It is quite incredible how many meals can be made from one turkey. Ours was about 8 lbs. but it was feeding only three people (two and a half since I doubt the toddler was pulling her weight as a third feaster).


Steve smoked the turkey over hickory so the smell permeated the entire fowl, including the bones. As I boiled the bones for soup stock, the entire house filled with the smell of hickory smoke. (I was actually alarmed for a moment about what was on fire.) Our soup was a.m.a.z.i.n.g. with the added addition of hickory flavor.


Here's a few other things we enjoyed this week:

Sunday - gingerbread pancakes  served with eggs and bacon

Monday - bean burritos topped with spicy salsa

Tuesday - shepherds' pie : I placed the leftover turkey and stuffing in a pyrex dish and whipped up a pan of mashed potatoes, enough to cover the top. Baked it in the oven at 375 degrees for about 40 minutes.

Wednesday - turkey soup : made something based on this recipe here

Thursday - sloppy joes in whole wheat buns served alongside zucchini

Friday - breakfast for dinner: omelets with cheddar and ham & whole wheat applesauce cake (oops, I guess I'm serving dessert for dinner -- don't tell my mom)


And, you, what's on your menu this week??

Link up here! Or to peruse more ideas.



5 comments:

Nell @ Whole Parenting Family said...

YUMMY! Thanks so much for linking up! Love your ideas!!

Rosie said...

We finally got through the last of our turkey yesterday and now I kind of want to roast another! I love how many leftovers dishes we can make out of it :)

Laurel said...

@Nell - Thanks for hosting a great link up!! <3

Laurel said...

@Rosie - I'm with you! I'm ready to roast or bbq another to last us another week long! :)

Wikt Oria said...

Serdecznie zapraszam na nowego bloga! Historia będzie bardzo ciekawa! http://niemozliwalove.blogspot.com