Friday, April 17, 2009

Location, Location

I apologize for my long absence. I've been longing to share my thoughts, photos, etc. with you over these past few weeks but the lack of a computer has made it rather difficult. I was greatly frightened by the prospect of having lost all of my photos taken over the past few months, until my genius brother managed to pull them off my damaged hard drive for a lot less than the $100 Best Buy was going to charge me for the feat. However, they now reside on my mom's hard drive which is a few inches from the computer graveyard itself. And it turns out she doesn't have a CD burner...so goes life these days.


When all else fails, one can at least turn to a good meal for nourishment, not only for the body but the soul as well. One of the greatest factors in determining the outcome of a meal depends on the environment in which it is served. But, you know, it doesn't take a fancy spread of white linen and bone china to truly delight...the simplest setting can bring the utmost contentment.

Lounging on the beach, listening to the waves gently crash along the shoreline, is one of the most ideal spots for dining. It calms my nerves and allows me to enjoy and digest my meal without a sense of hurry. I can sink my toes into the warm sand as the cool breeze off the water sends shivers up my spine. I munch on a hunk of warm sourdough bread spread with herbed goat's cheese and a slice of tomato. Perhaps later, I sink my teeth into a juicy pear, sighing as the nectar slides down my throat. A large hunk of dark chocolate hits the spot for my sweettooth before I trail off along the waterline for an after-dinner stroll, skimming my toes along the icy water. Don't want to miss the grand finale of the evening -- sunset.

I admit it -- al fresco dining is my weakness. Coming in a close second, a grassy knoll will do for a nice picnic. A basket of fried chicken with warm buttermilk biscuits, served alongside a generous dollop of homemade potato salad. I hope there are enough for seconds. Should I take a short nap in the warm afternoon sunshine now? Or after indulging in my strawberry shortcake made with the leftover biscuits? A game of frisbee is sure to ensue at some point in the day.


But perhaps most important of all is your dining companions. Dining in the company of friends can make the blandest meal sparkle like a diamond. Not to imply anything mediocre about this meal I shared with friends in a Parisien Lebanese bistro, but the simple fruit platter we were served to crown our fantastic three-course meal, was like the finest creme brulee shared in such delightful company. Our forks busily attempting to catch up the tasty morsels, we giggled as we nearly skewered each others fingers instead. I am certain my initial plans to dine alone that day would have sadly fallen short of the mark.

Cheers!

No comments: