Monday, October 19, 2009

Pumpkin Scones


If there is one recipe in my collection that is well-worn, it is my pumpkin scone recipe. I have no idea where it came from originally, nor do I ever stick to its stipulations, but it has seen me through many a morning (and afternoon, for that matter).


Enjoyed one this morning with a dab of apple pumpkin butter straight from Apple Hill. I can't think of a better addition...although peanut butter comes in a close second. :-) (Almost didn't make it into the photo I was so hungry!)

Pumpkin Scones


2 c. flour

1/2 c. brown sugar

1/4 t. ginger

1/2 t. nutmeg

1/4 t. allspice

1/2 t. cinnamon

1 t. baking powder

1/4 t. baking soda

1/2 c. butter

1/3 c. buttermilk

1/2 c. pumpkin puree

1 t. vanilla


Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.


Place flour, sugar, spices, baking powder, and baking soda in a large bowl. Cut butter into small pieces and mix with dry ingredients until butter is the size of small peas.


Mix buttermilk, pumpkin and vanilla in a separate cup or bowl. Add to large bowl and mix together by hand just until it comes together.


Flour a clean surface. Pat ball of dough into a round about 1/2 in. thick. Cut into 8 triangles. Place on greased baking sheet. Bake 20 minutes, until browned at edges.




This morning's scones were made using canned pumpkin pie mix so I left out the cinnamon and nutmeg. Often, I leave all the spices out as the pumpkin pie mix has its own added, but the flavor of the scones is more subtle without the added ginger and allspice. It's at your discretion...

I also like to make the scones with either all whole wheat flour or half whole wheat, half all-purpose. The whole wheat flour gives the scones a heavier texture, still every bit delicious, and they certainly keep you full longer.

2 comments:

My Peace Of Food said...

Mmm, I never would have thought of putting apple butter on a scone, but dang that sounds tasty!

Christine said...

!!! The leaves picture sums up fall without saying a word! So beautiful!

This is funny! I've noticed that food bloggers must share the same wavelength because similar posts end up being blogged about at the same time. I finally made pumpkin scones an will be blogging about it. I love pumpkin scones!