Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Goodness Pizza



If you haven't discovered Trader Joe's pre-made pizza dough yet, you're missing out. I've been wanting to give a handmade version a spin, but they've given me good reason to continue procrastinating. It cuts out the difficulty of kneading and rising while still making you feel as if it is homemade.

Plus, it is SO cheap!

(And, no, they are not sponsoring this post...I'm just so head-over-heels for this dough, I couldn't keep it a secret!)

At our local Trader Joe's, it comes in three flavors plain, wheat, or herb. I usually buy the herb version. Although, I warn you: if you show up later in the day, it might be gone. Others have discovered its greatness.

Be sure to follow the directions about allowing it to sit outside the bag for at least 15 minutes before attempting to roll it out. If it is still cold, it will be difficult to stretch. I typically roll it a bit on the counter with a fistful of flour to prevent sticking, then pick it up, tossing, spinning, and stretching until it fits on the pizza pan.


If you are using a pizza stone, cover it with a generous amount of cornmeal. This is vital. I didn't do this the first time and I couldn't get the pizza to come off the stone for the life of me. Bonus: it gives your crust a nice crunch.

Steve graciously named this one for me... :)


 Goodness Pizza

1 herb pizza crust
2 c. mozzarella cheese, grated
1/2 red bell pepper, cut into thin slices
2 sun-dried tomato chicken sausages, cut into thin slices (I used Trader Joe's brand)
10 sun-dried tomatoes, cut in half
1/3 c. crumbled goat cheese

Roll out pizza crust. Spread pesto completely over top of crust. Sprinkle with cheese, red bell pepper, chicken sausages, sun-dried tomatoes, and goat cheese.

Bake according to dough instructions.

No comments: