Friday, January 6, 2012

100 Foods to Eat Before You Die

56 of these foods have crossed my lips, most of which I've been happy to be acquianted with. The remainder I hope to try someday with a few exceptions. It is a great spread for challenging your palate. I will definitely add a few of these to the list of foods to try this year.


100 Foods to Eat Before You Die

1. Venison ~ Yes, I do believe I had this a few times in Italy.

2. Nettle tea ~

3. Huevos rancheros ~ The best Mexican breakfast dish which I have a recipe for here.

4. Steak tartare ~

5. Crocodile ~

6. Black pudding ~

7. Cheese fondue ~ Yes, please! The Melting Pot knows how to do this right.

8. Carp ~

9. Borscht ~ Yes, at a Ukranian friend's funeral reception. His mama made a huge pot of this delicious soup.

10. Baba ghanoush ~ Love this dish with a big hunk of pita bread!

11. Calamari ~ Yes, but I'm a bit squeamish about its stringiness

12. Pho ~

13. PB&J sandwich ~ Yes, at least a million times...and it still one of my favorite lunchtime meals.

14. Aloo gobi ~ Yes, although I didn't remember at first. I'm not so great with the names of Indian foods but I've had many of the dishes.

15. Hot dog from a street cart ~ Yes, most certainly. Although it has been a really long time...

16. Epoisses ~ Yes, one of the best French cheeses.

17. Black truffle ~ Yes, I've had it quite a few times in Italian dishes, especially at Il Fornaio.

18. Fruit wine made from something other than grapes ~ Yes, pineapple wine is a favorite. Super sweet.

19. Steamed pork buns ~ Yes, at a dim sum restaurant.

20. Pistachio ice cream ~ Yes, one of my favorite flavors, particularly as gelato.

21. Heirloom tomatoes ~ Yes, and I prefer these over the plain ol' red ones. The flavors are so diverse!

22. Fresh wild berries ~ Yes, numerous times, but my favorite memory of them is walking along the bike trail and eating them straight from the bush.

23. Foie gras ~ Yes, but not as gourmet tasting as it is claimed to be.

24. Rice and beans ~ Yes, do cows 'moo'?

25. Brawn, or head cheese ~

26. Raw Scotch Bonnet pepper ~

27. Dulce de leche ~ Yes, and Safeway's store brand makes a delicious ice cream of this flavor.

28. Oysters ~ Yes, at Mont St Michel in France, when I was feeling a bit adventurous.

29. Baklava ~ Yes, would love to make it some day...

30. Bagna cauda ~ Yes, sometime while I was travelling in Italy.

31. Wasabi peas ~

32. Clam chowder in a sourdough bowl ~ Yes. Hello, Boudin in SF!

33. Salted lassi ~ Yes, sort of. I don't think it was salted but I've also had a version with rum.

34. Sauerkraut ~ Yes. The perfect accompaniment to a big German sausage.

35. Root beer float ~ Yes, some of my best summer memories include this tasty treat.

36. Cognac with a fat cigar ~  Yes, to the cognac but I will never have a cigar. That's not even food.

37. Clotted cream tea - Yes, but prefer the clotted cream on my scones.

38. Vodka jelly/Jell-O shot ~ Yes...but not a fan.

39. Gumbo ~ Yes, in New Orleans.

40. Oxtail ~

41. Curried goat ~

42. Whole insects ~

43. Phaal ~

44. Goat’s milk ~ I'm going to say yes because I eat goat's milk cheese and yogurt on a regular basis.

45. Single malt whisky ~ Aye. Stephen made me do it. Don't like it straight up...burns.

46. Fugu ~

47. Chicken tikka masala ~ Yes, learned how to make it once at a cooking class but haven't had it since.

48. Eel ~ Yes, but it is too slimy for me.

49. Krispy Kreme original glazed doughnut ~ Yes, but it has been a while. They are kind of like cotton candy, melting upon contact with your mouth.

50. Sea urchin ~

51. Prickly pear ~ Yes, but it didn't have much flavor.

52. Umeboshi ~

53. Abalone ~

54. Paneer ~ Yes, mixed with a bit of spinach.

55. McDonald’s Big Mac Meal ~ Yes, but never again.

56. Spaetzle ~ Yes, another German favorite.

57. Dirty gin martini ~ Yes, I've tasted one, but I wouldn't order one myself.

58. Beer above 8% ABV ~ Yes, definitely. Love the strong Belgian brews.

59. Poutine ~

60. Carob chips ~ Yes, but not a fan.

61. S’mores ~ Yes, I especially like them wrapped in foil over the coals after the marshmallows initial toasting.

62. Sweetbreads ~

63. Kaolin ~

64. Currywurst ~

65. Durian ~

66. Frogs’ legs ~

67. Beignets, churros, elephant ears or funnel cake ~ Yes to all of the above.

68. Haggis ~

69. Fried plantain ~ Yes, as a dessert covered in chocolate sauce at a Mexican restaurant.

70. Chitterlings, or andouillette  ~

71. Gazpacho ~ Yes, my own that I made from fresh tomatoes once.

72. Caviar and blini ~

73. Louche absinthe ~

74. Gjetost ~

75. Roadkill ~

76. Baijiu ~

77. Hostess Fruit Pie ~ Yes, when I was little, but prefer to make my own now.

78. Snail ~ Yes, I finally had my first experience with escargot a few months ago.

79. Lapsang souchong ~ Yes, but it isn't one of my favorite teas.

80. Bellini ~

81. Tom yum ~

82. Eggs Benedict ~ Yes, but I'm not the biggest fan of hollaindaise sauce.

83. Pocky ~ Oh, yes. Used to buy these from World Market frequently when I was younger.

84. Tasting menu at a three-Michelin-star restaurant ~

85. Kobe beef ~

86. Hare ~

87. Goulash ~ Yes, my father liked to make this with leftover spaghetti.

88. Flowers ~ Yes, love lavender!

89. Horse ~

90. Criollo ~

91. Spam ~

92. Soft shell crab ~ Yes, but I don't remember it being anything spectacular.

93. Rose harissa ~

94. Catfish ~

95. Mole poblano ~

96. Bagel and lox ~ Yes, cream cheese included.

97. Lobster Thermidor ~

98. Polenta ~ Yes, I like it with a lot of added cheese. Yum.

99. Jamaican Blue Mountain Coffee ~

100. Snake ~

*****************
 

How many have you tried? Any favorites or ones that cause complete disgust?

{Copy and paste to your own page and post a link in the comments!!}

No comments: