Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Scottish Shortbread


This is the simplest cookie you will ever make.

And perhaps the most delicious. If, you love them like my fiance, who informed me that he would always wait for me to enjoy a plate of cookies...unless it was shortbread.

I'm going to be sure to hide them before he returns from work.... :)

These tasty morsels are only three ingredients -- flour, sugar and butter. That'll be 2 1/2 cups, 1/2 cup and 1 cup, respectively. (DO NOT substitute margarine in this recipe. You will be none too happy with yourself for it.)


If you don't mind getting your hands a little messy, the best way to mix this up is with your nimble fingers. Make sure the butter is softened a bit. Mash it up really well, then add in the sugar. Keep squashing and turning your mound of butter until all the sugar is absorbed into it. Next, the flour; same thing. It will need to chill for about an hour. Then, press it into a small baking dish and cook at 300 degrees F for about 20 minutes.


Shortbread makes a great gift as they stay fresh for at least two weeks. Package them up really nicely and your friend can enjoy them with a cup of tea or coffee after the new year. Sometimes it's good to spread the sweets out just a bit.... ;)

3 comments:

Kayleigh said...

What can I substitute for this? I'm trying to find ways to make sugar free-fat free things for family. Will it not come out okay if I do that?

Unknown said...

Right now, you are at your house. Your brother is asleep. The shortbread is, well, gone. I'm not quite sure what happened to it, but it's absence is a sore reminder that there is none left. :-)

Laurel said...

@Kayleigh - You really can't substitute anything for the butter in this recipe -- it is what makes shortbread what it is. As far as sugar substitutes, I've never tried anything else, like Stevia, but if you do, let me know how it goes! :)