Saturday, December 10, 2011

Slow-Cooked Lamb in Red Wine with Rosemary

I know this will come as a shock to some, but I finally had my first experience with a crock pot the other day. The concept seemed a little odd and stressful to me.

But you're thinking: Isn't it supposed to be quick and easy? The perfect answer to a warm meal on a hectic evening?


Well, it is. But in my mind, I was afraid of overcooking, or worse still, undercooking. If I wasn't there to watch it, how could I be sure everything would be okay? What if it cooked so long that it was like leather when we tried to bite into it? Or what if it was as red as a nose raw with cold when we sat down for supper?


It was none of that. My anxiety was unfounded....and it appears I may have control issues. ;)
If you have any lamb lovers in your family, this is a must. Stephen is head-over-heels for lamb -- as am I -- and we try to have it as frequently as possible. This makes it just a little bit easier.



Slow-Cooked Lamb in Red Wine

2 T. olive oil
2 lamb shanks
24 pearl onions
2 medium-sized carrots, sliced
3/4 lb. crimini mushrooms, sliced
1 - 14 oz. can stewed tomatoes

2 c. red wine
5 garlic cloves, minced
1 - 2 T. fresh rosemary, minced
1 t. parsley, dried or fresh
1 t. thyme, dried or fresh
Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add lamb shanks and brown on both sides, turning frequently, about 5 minutes each side.

Place pearl onions in a pot of boiling water and boil for 3 minutes. Drain water and let cool a bit. Cut ends of each onion and slide out of peel.

Place lamb and onions in crock pot.

Sautee carrots and mushrooms in pan with lamb fat for about 5 minutes. Pour into all veggies into crock pot, including tomatoes.

Put remaining ingredients into a small bowl and let marinate for 5-10 minutes. Then, pour all of the wine mixture into the crock pot.

Cook on HIGH for about an hour; reduce heat to LOW and let cook 6-7 hours.

It is done when the meat slides off the bones. (The best part!) Great with mashed potatoes to soak up all the juices.

5 comments:

EmilyS said...

I am book-marking this. I love lamb! Maybe I'll make it for Good Shepherd Sunday... :-)

And yes, slow cookers are just amazing. Have you used one for a pork shoulder (butt roast or pulled pork) yet? The tenderest meat I've ever had.

Laurel said...

I haven't done pork yet but that is high on the list!

EmilyS said...

I like this recipe here:

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/slow-cooker-carnitas/detail.aspx?event8=1&prop24=SR_Title&e11=slow%20cooker%20carnitas&e8=Quick%20Search&event10=1&e7=Home%20Page

Although a friend swears by this one, and I'm eager to try it:

http://www.citywifecountrylife.com/2012/02/slow-cooked-chipotle-rubbed-pulled-pork.html

Laurel said...

Bookmarking both of these...thanks for sharing! :)

EmilyS said...

Ok, so I tried this recipe, and I really liked it overall. The red wine and rosemary marinade that the lamb cooked in was lovely. However, in the future I would strongly recommend keeping the carrots and mushrooms out of the slow cooker. Instead, saute the mushrooms for ten to fifteen minutes in a little olive oil, red wine, and thyme right before dinner, and serve next to the lamb. That way, the mushrooms do not get overcooked.