Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Mini fruit galettes


I have become captivated lately by the prospect of baking pies. The beautiful thing about pies is that they come in all shapes and sizes. They can be simple or fancy. They can be savory or sweet. They will capture your favorite flavors into one, big juicy bite of warm pie-goodness.

I was simply looking for a way to enjoy pears before they fall out of season. I stumbled upon this recipe for mini pear galettes at maya* made which had the added bonus of a recipe for making them with apples. Truly, these could be made with just about any sweet filling your heart desires.

I used Bosc pears in the recipe which I thought were a tad lacking in flavor. Next time, I will definitely use Bartlett. They are my favorite of the different pear varieties. The grated ginger many found overwhelming. (Although, I was duly warned that this might be an issue...) But I think it was mainly the fault of the flavorless pears, which allowed the ginger to highlight itself inordinately.

The apples were the hit. They tend to be. You really can't go wrong with a sliced apples, cinnamon, a touch of sugar, and a squeeze of lemon juice. The leftovers are now being enjoyed for breakfast.

They are super-easy to assemble. In fact, I would consider it a fault if you fail to try these out with your favorite fall/winter fruit.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

The apple galettes sure made a delicious breakfast! :-)