Thursday, February 26, 2009

Raspberry Sponge Torte


My expertise in the field of cake-baking is rather sparse, but I am quite content with the results of my attempts thus far.
This delicious, multi-layered delight was our Christmas cake. Yet, I think the lightness of the cake and lingering flavors of almonds, raspberries and coconut make this a perfect cake for the anticipation of Spring. In fact, it would be just perfect for an afternoon tea or your Easter brunch table.

Raspberry Sponge Torte
from The Taste of Home Entertaining Cookbook

1/2 c. butter, softened
1/2 c. shortening

2 c. sugar

5 eggs, separated

1 1/2 t. vanilla
2 c. flour

1 t. baking soda
1 c. buttermilk

1 c. walnuts, chopped, toasted

1/2 c. coconut

1/2 t. cream of tartar


Frosting/Filling:

1 c. raspberry preserves, warmed

2 packages of cream cheese, softened

3/4 c. butter, softened

6 1/2 c. powdered sugar

2 t. vanilla
1/2 c. chopped walnuts


In a large bowl, cream butter, shortening, and sugar. Add egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine flour and baking soda to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk. Stir in nuts and coconut. In another bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar until stiff peaks form. Fold into cake batter. Pour into 3 greased and floured 9 in. round cake pans. Bake at 350 degrees 28-30 minutes, until toothpick in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool completely.


To assemble:
Spread raspberry preserves over 2 layers. Refrigerate 20 minutes. In mixing bowl, beat cream cheese, butter, and sugar until fluffy. Beat in vanilla. Spread between layers and over top and sides of cake. Sprinkle with nuts. Store in fridge.


I followed this recipe to a T (which I rarely do) as I feared additions/omissions/substitutions might mess it up royally. Perhaps I might try it with a different flavored preserve next time, although the raspberry was quite popular.

The frosting would be an excellent garnish on a carrot cake.



I entirely forgot to take a photo of its interior, but I assure you it was every bit beautiful and delicious.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I did think the cake was delicious even though contained a wide variety of ingredients I don't normally care for. But, the raspberries and cream cheese frosting were enough to win me over!