Thursday, January 28, 2010

Milk and Cookies: Graham Crackers

To be honest, I had never considered making home-made graham crackers. I take it for granted that when I want a yummy cookie to dip into my milk, I can simply pull one out of a cellophane wrapper. So when I stumbled upon this months Daring Bakers' Challenge, it was a revelation of sorts: 'Home-made graham crackers? What a novel idea!' I'm on it.
And if you're wondering, they do taste like the store-bought kind....only better. Their texture is a bit less crunchy and their fine, honey flavor produces a great flourish. There goes one for a dunk right now.
If nothing else, these babies permeate your home with a wonderful warm, honeyed aroma for hours. Better than any Bath & Body Works candle I've ever come across... ;-)


I chose to make the ones from Heidi's blog, using all-purpose flour instead of going the gluten-free route. I made up the dough the night before and chilled it overnight.



Honey bear lost his head in honey.


It rolled out quite easily, cold from the fridge. It was cut into rectangles and chilled again for about a half hour before baking.



I sprinkled one tray with sugar and cinnamon.
The scrappy ones will be crumbled up for use in Part 2 of this challenge...stay tuned. :)



The January 2010 Daring Bakers' challenge was hosted by Lauren of Celiac Teen. Lauren chose Gluten-Free Graham Wafers and Naniamo Bars as the challenge for the month. The sources she based her recipe on are 101 Cookbooks and www.naniamo.ca.

1 comment:

Jill @ Jillicious Discoveries said...

Your graham crackers look FANTASTIC!! Well done! :)