Saturday, January 9, 2010

Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal

Oatmeal is my choice of comfort food when it is chilly and I desire something warm to coat my insides. On a foggy day like today, I wanted nothing more than to consume an enormous bowl of oats to fill my growling tummy after a long, grueling work meeting this morning. However, when I opened the cupboard, I was disappointed by the scarce quantity of oats lurking in the bottom of my cylinder tub - only about 1/4 cup! Scanning the cupboards I happened upon a small bag of pumpkin flax granola...that can't be much different from cooking oats, right?! I added that to the boiling pot of water, along with my oats and stirred away. Worked like a dream! (It is always good to work on one's improv... ;-)) Added a few other necessary ingredients to end up with my very own bowl of pumpkin pie oatmeal.

I just might be willing to forgo a piece of pie for this instead!


Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal
1 c. water
1/4 c. old fashioned oats
1/4 c. pumpkin flax granola
2 t. brown sugar
1/8 t. pumpkin pie spice
2 T pumpkin puree
splash of milk (if you wish)
1 T peanut butter (if you wish)
Heat water on stove to boiling point. Add oats and granola, stirring occasionally until cooked (about 5 minutes). Add sugar, spice, and puree for the last minute of cooking. Pour in a bowl and enjoy with a splash of milk and/or peanut butter if your heart desires.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Wow! Looks good, gonna try it. Thanks.