Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Fire Roasted Chile Chevre

Many Americans are afraid of cheese with bold flavor.

Not this American.

I prefer my cheese to bite back. I like a cheese with some pizazz. A cheese with the ability to make your tastebuds dance.

One of my favorite types of cheese is chevre (or goat). Although its flavor is rather audacious, it pairs well with a variety of fruits and vegetables. A personal favorite is pineapple. I once purchased a small round rolled in tiny pieces at a cheese stall in a Parisian market, and made it my lunch alongside a rustic baguette from the local boulangerie. It is my top pick in a quiche, nestled among the asparagus spears.

As an added bonus, goat cheese is healthier for you than that made from cow's milk. It is lower in calories, cholesterol, and fat and easier on the human digestive tract.


At a food conference I attended a few weeks ago, I was introduced to this chevre cheese with fire roasted chiles by Redwood Hill Farm. I was so in love I nearly felt compelled to grab an entire container off the tasting table for later. Rather, I picked it from a miniature fridge beside the freshly baked bread (they just go together) at the market the following day and threw it into my basket. It was consumed quickly as dinner cooked. The only complaint we had was that the container was too small. We're thinking a Costco upgrade would be an excellent idea.

Perfect as a pre-Thanksgiving appetizer on crackers or bread.

No comments: